Laying on miles of dunes and surfing on world-famous waves
Lisbon is blessed as the only European capital located so close to sandy beaches.
Although the waters are not as warm as in the south of the country (Algarve), the Lisbon
coast offers beautiful beaches that range from sheltered little
coves to miles of dune-backed sands.
Most of them are clean and fly the European Union Blue Flag for excellence
and are ideal for a refreshing day in the sun.
Lisbonites usually head to the beach every chance they get, on holidays, weekends, or even for an hour or two after work, including in the winter months, if only to gaze out at the sea.
Along the railway line linking Lisbon to Cascais are several broad beaches that attract working-class locals and that are usually packed in summer (especially Carcavelos which is popular among local youngsters who play beach soccer, and Tamariz in Estoril).
In the center of Cascais are Praia da Conceição and Praia da Rainha. These are within 20 to 30 minutes from the capital, ending at Guincho, a beautiful beach known world-wide for surfing.
But for the longest stretches of sand, head south of the city, to Costa da Caparica, or better yet, to refreshing Meco, sandy Troia, or secluded Adraga, ranked as one of the best beaches in Europe.
Use the links on the menu below for more information on these and other beaches, and check out our beaches map.
FORTALEZA DO GUINCHO, Guincho Beach, Cascais
- In a 17th century fortress overlooking the beach.
CASCAIS MIRAGEM, Cascais
- Beachfront hotel with views of the sea.
HOTEL ALBATROZ, Cascais
- 5-star boutique hotel with 5-star ocean views from the rooms and gourmet restaurant.
SANA ESTORIL, Estoril
- Overlooks the bay of Cascais and just steps from the beach.
SENHORA DA GUIA, Cascais
- Elegant 5-star hotel with ocean views.
QUINTA DA MARINHA RESORT, Cascais
- Peaceful surroundings, views of the sea, and golf courses.
VILLA ITALIA HOTEL & SPA, Cascais
- Fantastic views, spa, and luxurious facilities and service.
HOTEL INGLATERRA, Estoril
- Charming hotel just a short walk to the beach.
PALACIO HOTEL, Tamariz Beach, Estoril
- Legendary hotel (James Bond novel was written and film was shot here), by the casino and the beach.
VILA GALÉ ESTORIL, Tamariz Beach, Estoril
- Overlooks the beach and just around the corner from the famous casino.
HOTEL DA VILA, Cascais
- Located in the center of Cascais, not far from the beach.
COSTA DA CAPARICA HOTEL, Costa da Caparica
- All of the Caparica beaches are accessible, by foot or public transportation.
The TOP 10 Beaches on the Lisbon Coast
- PORTINHO DA ARRÁBIDA
Unquestionably the best waters on the Lisbon coast.
Perhaps the most beautiful beach on the Lisbon coast, and manages to feel quite wild.
You won't find a more peaceful and refreshing beach around Lisbon.
Fine sand and the feel of a resort escape.
- PRAIA DA CABANA DO PESCADOR - COSTA DA CAPARICA
Because it feels less crowded than other beaches on this coast, and there's a great bar too!
Because it's conveniently close to Lisbon, easy to reach, and attractive.
Because you can swim and eat well.
- MORENA - COSTA DA CAPARICA
Plenty of sand, space, and a good bar.
Just over one hour away, but you'll find great beaches and a picturesque traditional village.
All of the beaches on our list are just minutes away or about 1 hour or less from Lisbon.
FOR WINDSURFING and BAYWATCHING: Guincho
FOR SURFING: Ericeira
FOR SWIMMING: Sesimbra, Portinho da Arrábida
FOR SUNBATHING: Costa da Caparica, Troia
FOR SECLUSION & TO BARE IT ALL: Meco
FOR A SUNTAN AND DRINKS: Tamariz
FOR NATURAL BEAUTY: Adraga, Santa Cruz
FOR FAMILIES: Praia das Maçãs