SAO DOMINGOS CHURCH
A church marked by tragedy
To the right of the National Theater,
east of Rossio, is the Church of
São Domingos, that is either blessed or cursed, having survived fires and earthquakes.
Prior to the Great Earthquake of 1755 this was where the São Domingos Convent stood, from which the Inquisition read out its sentences. In 1950 it was partially destroyed by a fire and has since undergone restoration, but there are still clear signs of the fire (the permeating smell and the scorched pillars).
Worthy of note is the high altar, with red marble columns that support the sculptural composition of the Holy Trinity.
Another outstanding feature is the sacristy, which for many years held the remains of King Afonso III, until they were moved to Alcobaça.
The African community clusters in the area because this church has had a black priest, while many other locals visit a popular hole-in-the-wall bar almost immediately in front of the church for a glass of ginginha, a local syrupy cherry brandy liqueur.
Ride Lisbon's metro, buses, and trams for FREE with the Lisboa Card.
How to Visit
Where: Largo de São Domingos, Baixa
How: Metro - Rossio Station
Square - Lisbon's elegant main square.
Figueira Square - Busy square and transporation hub.
Rua das Portas de Santo Antão - Pedestrian street lined with seafood restaurants.
Rossio Station - A monumental train station.
Restauradores Square - Large busy square.
Avenida da Liberdade - The city's main avenue.
Comercio Square - Monumental riverside square.
Rua Augusta - The city's main shopping street.
Santa Justa Elevator - An Eiffel Tower-like landmark with views over the city.